Saturday, July 16, 2011

My guilty pleasure


Blue, gold, red, gold tigers eyes
In class the other day we were talking about things people tend to blow money on. That one thing, that you just have to buy even though you don't really need it. That cup of coffee from starbucks every morning (No, you do not NEED it), going out to eat more than occasionaly, buying shoes even though you have twenty pairs at home. At the time, I couldn't think of anything. I like to spend money on my kids, when i have money that is. Though I can tell myself no because I don't want them to be spoiled (They have grandparents for that).
Then I went to The Next Millenium, the pagan shop in town. Now, I strongly believe that you do not need fancy tools to cast a solid spell. You do not have to have a 300 dollar robe, 100 dollar wand, and every essential oil imaginable to "be somebody" in the pagan community. With that said, I still can't resist wanting every crystal/rock/gem in that store.

Blue lace agate. moonstone at side
I have all kinds of stones. Blue tigers eye, red tigers eye, gold tigers eye, amethyst, rose quartz, rutilated quartz, bloodstone, jasper, red goldstone, blue goldstone, pyrite, howlite, onyx... Maybe I shouldn't list everything. I'm no expert on the subject, but it is a subject very close to my heart. Over the years I have gathered a nice little collection. Friends and family know that a rock is a great gift. Especially if its one i dont already have!
Walking into that store, and seeing the huge selection of stones always makes my pockets burn. There are just so many uses for them. Meditation, spells, charms, jewelry, etc.. I love wearing different stones as a necklace. The different properties come in handy for different situations. Like quartz for healing, or pyrite for luck.

Stones have so many uses and properties. I won't share them all here as that would take a while. You can find some good books on the subject though. Or look online for crystal properties.

Snowflake obsidian
If you want to get some stones but don't have a lot of money to spend, head down to the water and look at rocks around there. Go hiking and pick up a few that call out to you. Explore a cave or two. You may just end up finding something you never thought you would. And If you don't know what you found, look it up. What color is it? where did you find it? Ask someone or look in a book or online. There are some jewelry stores that may be able to tell you what you have, though they tend to be the smaller stores. Think outside the box and be open to things. You find a dirty blackish blue rock and think its probably nothing. You rinse it off and notice there are sparkles on it! You may have just found a blue goldstone. Congratulations!

-Lynx

No comments:

Post a Comment