Monday, June 6, 2011

No Hate

I'm a female witch, who is married to a MtF transperson. Essentially making us a lesbian pagan couple. We have made these choices, we came out, we knew the possibilities, we knew how much harder it could make our lives. I don't really know which closet I stepped out of first. In school, everyone knew i was bisexual and that I practiced witchcraft. I didn't run around shouting it out down the halls, but I didn't deny it either. Why should I lie to fit in?  In my family it was a different story. No one knew. I liked keeping it that way because for some reason, the two things that defined a major part of me, were "not right" in others eyes.
When I was 16 I moved half way across the country to live with my aunt. There, I could be myself. My little sister was pushed out of the closet at this time and some of the family was less than thrilled. I blew up. I told my sister, I supported her. I told the family if they had something to say they could say it to me because i was gay too. Not much was said about it after that. Me and two of my sisters are out of the closet.
I bring all this up, because despite the fact that we are older, more mature, better capable of handling whatever hate may come our way because of who we are, we still have that hate coming at us. Not everyone accepts Izzy. I have stood up for her at every turn, and lost family and friends because of it. Sadly, some of her family isn't accepting either. One family member in particular is very vocal about their disgust. Have they educated themselves about any of this? No. Will they listen to what we have to say? No. They are just a hateful toxic person who is part of this worlds problem. In high school, I was "baptized" by a group of girls who called me a devil worshipper and thought I was going to curse them. No matter what I said, they didn't hear it, and neither did the teacher.
It saddens me that such people exist. I know that they do, and I know that in my life I am sure to run into many more of them. I just wish that people could educate themselves more. Humans fear the unknown, they hate what they do not understand. When I say "education is the solution to the worlds problems" I really believe that. If everyone educated themselves about others beliefs, If religions learned of others beliefs, if different cultures learned about each other, Life would be better. Education can end the fear that causes so much hatred, violence, ignorance, and chaos.
I am a gay witch. For some people, reading that sentence will bring up anger and fear. Before you open you're mouth though, learn something about what it is to be gay, or pagan, or anything that isn't what you are. Maybe you'll learn, you're fear is ridiculous.

1 comment:

  1. you are absolutly right about education being key I love all my nieces Gay, straight, Bi,and Transgender...I had my issues with Izzy because I couldn't understand some of the things she was willing to go through untill I opened myself to seeing Her as who she has alway been on the inside... not as a man in womans clothing but a woman trapped in a mans body wanting to be free... and seeing her shine as the beautiful woman she is opened my mind and heart I couldn't be more proud of the courage and love Izzy has not only for herself but her family by being open and honest about who she is inside and the fact that you as her wife lovingly supports her in every way is a prime example for your children of the way love should be and what family truely is unconditional love and support .... I am so proud and blessed to call you both my nieces..Thank you Aunt T

    ReplyDelete