Monday, June 6, 2011

A rose by any other name

10 points to the Shakespeare lovers who finished that quote in their heads! Now to topic: Craft names. Also known as Magic(k) names or shadow names. Why would a person want a craft name? If you're still in the broom closet, you can keep your real identity secret when practicing with others or when online. Some people feel a stronger connection to their deities or their work when they use a craft name. Some covens give their members a craft name, or allow them to pick one at various stages of learning. Some people even have multiple craft names! One for the general public, one for their deities, one for their coven.

Do you have to have a craft name? No! You don't have to go picking a name out of a hat just yet. If you feel more comfortable using your own name then do it. I see it this way, what you do on your path, is your choice. No one can tell you you're doing it wrong because they aren't you, they are not on your path. Some people see using a craft name as silly and "fluffy", clearly I don't agree. To each his own. Again, I say, do what feels comfortable to you.

Now, if after some thought you have decided you want a Craft name, there are many ways you can go about finding one. You can meditate and just let it come to you. You can search baby name sites. If you want to choose a name by its meaning, baby name sites are a great way to do that. They have search bars that allow you to choose the specifics. Bog/girl, meaning, origin, etc. Some people choose a name through numerology, wanting their birth name and craft name to match numerically. Name generators can be helpful too. You can also ask a deity to help you by sending you a sign, or you can write a bunch of names or words you like on a piece of paper and use a pendulum to pick. There are tons of ways to decide.

To help you a little more, I'm going to explain my chosen name. Lynx Raine Amunet. This name took me years to decide upon. I actually went through a few names before I felt 100% comfortable with my name. How did I finally decide this was my name? Lynx is my spirit animal. So, I honor it with my name. Raine is actually just a shortened form of my given middle name, Lorraine. I chose Amunet, the name of the Egyptian goddess, female counterpart of Amun, and a protector of secrets. Oddly enough, Lynx is thought to be an animal who knows many secrets. So together, the name just suits me. For a little extra effort, I checked the numerology behind my names also. Why did I decide to use a craft name? I chose a name to separate my religious life from my day to day life, to make my religious life that much more special, and because my given name is much too common. Also, it does come in handy when around other pagans, or when online, such as now.

My wife is currently trying to find her craft name. Her beliefs are very Egyptian based, and so I see her finding something to that aspect for her name. Of course, I could be wrong! Picking a name can be hard or easy, it may take years or minutes. You may pick the right name the first time, you may go through twenty before you decide. Whatever happens, I hope this helps you in some way. Good luck to you.

~Lynx

No comments:

Post a Comment