Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pagan Enough

I know I promised you all a story, sadly I haven't had as much time to work on it as I would like. Also, I know its sunday and I don't normally post on sundays, but browsing facebook I stumbled upon something that made me want to post.

A question was posed about how you know someone is "pagan enough". I find this a little tough to answer. I was under the impression that pagan is an umbrella term. Many religions fall under this, and not all of them believe the same. Take for instance, Wicca. Wicca is a new religion all about do good, don't do harm, love, light and all the good stuff. Then you have Asatru, a very old religion. Yes thats the one with the vikings. Obviously, vikings weren't against killing people, so "harm none" probably wasn't in their vocabulary. Two different religions, both falling under the title "Pagan".

I don't fit neatly into any pagan religion and I'm okay with that. My beliefs are my own. I don't try to sell them, or shove them down bunny throats. I don't try to get famous or rich off of my beliefs. I don't advertise my actual beliefs, though I write this blog and label it as a pagan blog, my own beliefs are not plastered everywhere for you to view.  I am not wiccan, or asatru, or egyptian or anything specific. And I won't tell you my exact beliefs either.

Some people may say I'm not pagan enough, it doesn't bother me. So, why then do so many people worry about being pagan enough? If you are comfortable in your own beliefs thats all that should matter, right? After all, your beliefs are between you and your deity(s), not you and the world.

However, if you go around claiming to be wiccan yet don't follow the wiccan rede, you may have some soul searching to do on the right religion for you. This would be "wiccan enough" though. What are your thoughts on being "pagan enough"?

No comments:

Post a Comment